[wp-ui] Pet Peeves, The care and feeding of

Aaron Jorbin aaron at jorb.in
Wed Jan 27 22:13:03 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Dean Robinson <dean.j.robinson at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Fair point, and I completely agree, my "favourite" example is the Akismet
> stats page living under the 'Dashboard' menu item, why? why isn't under the
> comments menu?
>
> However, I don't think this is necessarily something that can be solved, at
> least not entirely, by the UI since the menu which a plugins options etc
> appears in is determined by the plugin (and plugin author's choice). Happy
> to be proven otherwise though. :)

Dean is correct, It's each individual plugins choice, not something that is
controlled by the core of wordpress.  Some improved documentation in the
codex on organization and information architecture written with developers
as the target audience might be the best route imho.

The other solution that jumps out to me is the ability to change menu
structure on a user by user basis.  That seems like a nightmare for
documentation and instruction purposes.  I can already imagine a client
accidental moving something and then yelling "There is no add new listed
under Posts"

-Aaron

http://aaron.jorb.in
twitter: twitter.com/aaronjorbin