[wp-ui] First steps

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Tue Jan 19 18:02:21 UTC 2010

Hi Chris. When I say the general layout and structure isn't up for
being redesigned right now, I mean the basic framing of the left nav,
modular elements, etc. Various sections will be "redesigned," such as
Settings, Site Admin from MU, and the media uploader. Also, some
screens will be redesigned, like Comments and Plugins. However, as
long as they still live within the general WP UI, I don't consider
that a major redesign. Matt declared last year that we would be
sticking with the 2.7 design for at least the next few years, having
undergone several backend redesigns in a short time period before. So
*pieces* will be redesigned, but we're not "redesigning the admin,"  a
phrase that will freak people out because it means changing
everything, not just making what's there better.

And yes, there is a reason to restrict this project at first to the
touchups... not only is this a new process for contributing to the
design of the UI, but we're in the middle of merging two codebases.
There are significant UI issues that need to be fixed as part of this
process. Doing a "drastic rethink" of the backend UI just isn't on the
table at this time. Just as the contributing developers work within a
scope for each release, so will contributing designers.