[wp-ui] Woo Custom Navigation system

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Fri Feb 12 14:16:04 UTC 2010

On Feb 12, 2010, at 9:00 AM, Ash Goodman wrote:
> How would this affect the front end flexibiliy? For example I use
> meta values to assign pages to different navigation menus (main and
> footer for instance). Will that kind of fucntionaity still be
> present. Or better still, can Woo's system be made to support
> multiple navigation menus? Is it something a theme can support/not
> support like page thumbnails.
>
> I realise this may not be the right place to ask these questions,
> but I haven't heard anything about this on the wp-hackers list (I
> only signed up in the last couple of weeks) nor have I seen anything
> about it anywhere else. And I don't have a woo theme.(I probably
> should buy one). Can anyone point me to where this is being
> discussed? And a timeline for its implementation?
There should be an initial patch by the end of next week attached to
the trac ticket for menu management.

At this point, the core team has already made a decision to go in this
direction, so there's not much discussion other than it being
discussed in the IRC dev chat yesterday (and the UI chat) and people
being psyched that Woo is willing to contribute the system to core.
You won't hear much about it on wp-hackers, because that's more for
new ideas and questions than decisions that have been made.
wpdevel.wordpress.com is the active core developers' blog, trac, and
the #wordpress-dev weekly IRC chat are the main places core decisions
get made and written down. The real discussion will come when the
initial patch is posted and everyone can start reviewing the code etc.

On Feb 12, 2010, at 9:05 AM, Simon Wheatley wrote:
> Here's the post from the Woo guys bigging up their nav... seems to be
> before it was mooted for core though:
> http://www.woothemes.com/2010/01/the-awesome-custom-woo-navigation/
That's right. It was this post that brought the Woo menus to the
attention of the core contributing developers.

Just a reminder: please trim your posts! Easy to forget in Gmail
especially, but it's important to keep the list traffic to the new
content. Thanks.
jane