[wp-testers] Wordpress scaling problems

matthijs matthijsenator at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 21:43:16 GMT 2009

I would also like to know in which ways exactly wordpress has this scaling
problem. The issue I had was specifically with
%category%//%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%postname%/
removing the %category% removed the problem. But that wasn't possible in
this case.

Or, as I have done now as a temporarily solution, is: remove as many
attachments as possible. That's an issue which has not been discussed in
this thread by the way. Currently, if you have a post in wordpress (or page)
and have uploaded media for it, the post gets those as attachments. Now even
if you don't use them anymore in the post, the attachments stay coupled to
that post. So say you have a page or post in which you place a picture or
file each week. After a week you place a new one. You don't remove the other
existing files because it's handy to have them in your media library for
reuse later.

Now wordpress will write rewrite_rules for all those attachments. If you
have a page with 30 attachments, for each it gets maybe 11 rules, then you
have more then 300 rules for a single page, from which 90% is not needed
anymore. So maybe this is also a direction in which some improvements or
changes can be made.