[wp-testers] Misc Gallery stuff

Frank Helmschrott fhelmschrott at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 11:46:08 GMT 2008

Hi all,

i gave the gallery a hard try today and i'm kind of confused about
some stuff. I write it down in random order so please don't try to see
any logic in the order:

- a "Gallery" seems to be post related though images are not. That
makes it easy to reinsert that has already been uploaded before into a
post but makes it impossible to reinsert a whole gallery - why?

- When inserting an image from the media lib "File URL" is always
preselected. I wish there would be a setting for that.

- In the previously named dialog if i select "Post URL" I get a pretty
URL only if the image was not just uploaded. Funny that this depends
on the post beeing saved of course as it depends on the permalink of
the post. This basically also means that if i insert the same image
within 20 posts i have 20 different url's to right the same content.
Some guys involved into seo would now have the red blinking "Warning:
Duplicate Content" signs popping out of their heads. Why would an
image permalink not just be an image permalink instead of a
post/image-permalink? Is there anything against it?

- There's no standard value for any other setting relating images. I
think there should be a "media" tab within the settings area to set
some standard values (Link URL, Alignment, Size,...) That saves
needless clicks for thos using the same values most of the time.

- Couldn't you find anyone doing some beutifying jobs with the default
template to better integrate the new stuff or has there just been no
interest in doing so? Especially the gallery stuff isn't integrated at
all in any way, is it? Viewing the "Post URL" view of a post gallery
looks like a mess with the thumbs for previous/next image.

- How about thumbnail/medium sizes? I was looking for a setting to set
this to a value better fitting in the default theme but i couldn't
find any.

Please don't get me wrong - i don't want to attach blame here - also
please point out the stuff if i just missed something. I'm sure you're
all doing your best but the way the gallery/media stuff was done here
looks a bit like the 'very basic' tag integration in 2.3.

now beat me :-|

--
Frank