[wp-testers] "Categories" 2 bug under the Dashboard.

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Fri Mar 21 07:39:35 GMT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:58 PM, Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu> wrote:
>  Background on the lost connection error.
>
>  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html
>
>  I recall some people on Windows servers putting mysql_ping loops
>  before each query to help with lost connection errors.  Doing a
>  mysql_ping before each query slows things down though.  See ticket
>  5951.
>
>  http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5951
>
>  I can try cooking up a patch that does a mysql_ping if a query returns
>  an errno of CR_SERVER_GONE_ERROR or CR_SERVER_LOST.  That'll avoid
>  doing a mysql_ping every time.  I don't know if that will help, but
>  it's worth a try.

http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6305#comment:13

I modifed wp-db.php to attempt to reconnect when the lost connection
error occurs.  A new version of wp-db.php can be downloaded here:

http://trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/6305/wp-db.php?format=raw

Replace your existing wp-includes/wp-db.php with that.

I couldn't test this completely since my server works fine, so we
might need to tweak it a bit.  It works for me with successful
queries, errors other than lost connections, and  simulated lost
connection errors.