[wp-testers] "Categories" 2 bug under the Dashboard.

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Fri Mar 21 06:58:08 GMT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:08 PM, Frank Helmschrott
<fhelmschrott at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not getting to the logs on this server and still encounter some
>  problems for a working directory out of svn onto my local server via
>  smb (svn related problems) so i installed the plugin in the meanwhile:
>
>  Ajax Responses (has errors)
>
>    1.
>       DATA (add-cat_0):
>       WHAT: cat | ID: 0 | OLDID: NaN | POS: 1
>       SUPPLEMENTAL: (none)
>       ERRORS:
>          1.
>             CODE: db_insert_error
>             MESSAGE: Could not insert term into the database
>             DATA: Lost connection to MySQL server during query
>
>  Maybe a timeout problem? This version of WP is running on a
>  Mediatemple GridServer.

Background on the lost connection error.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html

I recall some people on Windows servers putting mysql_ping loops
before each query to help with lost connection errors.  Doing a
mysql_ping before each query slows things down though.  See ticket
5951.

http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5951

I can try cooking up a patch that does a mysql_ping if a query returns
an errno of CR_SERVER_GONE_ERROR or CR_SERVER_LOST.  That'll avoid
doing a mysql_ping every time.  I don't know if that will help, but
it's worth a try.