[wp-testers] page template

Kirk M kmb42vt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 20:24:40 GMT 2008

Kristin Andrus Pishdadi wrote:
> Strange,
>
> I downloaded the theme you mentioned to test because it was not showing up.
>
> It worked,
>
> then i switched back to my theme and the page templates showed up.
>
> It seems like it's not looking for them on the fly, but only when you
> activate the theme, so if you make a page template you have to re-activate
> your theme to get it to work ?

I hate to say this but that's a very interesting question. Up to now
I've never needed to come up with my own page template so I really
couldn't say. Perhaps someone else here might be better able to answer
if WP actually looks for new page templates on the fly. I don't think it
would since that would mean having some sort constant check going on to
check of the status of your theme for any changed files. Something akin
to a built-in cron job for checking theme templates. Re-activating your
theme for any new page templates to be picked up is probably the best
bet for now.