[wp-testers] Re: wp-testers Digest, Vol 37, Issue 49

Les Bessant les at lcb.me.uk
Mon Mar 17 19:41:19 GMT 2008

On 17 Mar 2008, at 19:31, Jamie Oastler wrote:

> Out of curiosity how come these elements, which used to exist nicely
> in a
> column beside the editing window, were moved below the main content
> area?
> Examples: Category checkboxes in Write > Post or the aforementioned
> Page
> Template in Write > Page
>
> Please forgive if this is re-hashing an old topic, I just joined the
> list a
> few days ago and downloaded a nightly build, couldn't find a method to
> search the archives. There are a number of changes like this which I
> would
> assume there were logical reasons for, but to the average user of
> Wordpress
> might seem like change only for the sake of change rather than
> progress
> based on improved usability.

Good question, which has been asked by a few of us. I've been playing
with 2.5 on a local installation, and for me, the new layout quite
simply does not work. The amount of scrolling up and down necessary to
make posts is a major step backward in usabilty.

The new layout also breaks a lot of plugins that used to (quite
usefully) add themselves to the sidebar. Some may still work, but
they'll appear at the bottom of the page rather than immediately to
the right.

We've also lost any ability to easily change the order of elements on
the page, which I always found very useful.

Personally, I don't expect to update my live site until someone
produces an admin theme plugin that restores the old functionality.

Les Bessant les at lcb.me.uk
Losing it[1] - http://lcb.me.uk
My flickr pictures - http://flickr.com/photos/lesbessant/