[wp-testers] Automatic Plugin Upgrader

spencerp theone.andonly.mr.awesome at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 23:32:18 GMT 2008

Jacob Santos wrote:
> I just want to say that I very much would not like to have the current
> feature a plugin and function as it does now, but only having to enable it
> to get the feature.

Really, I'd love it to be in the core as well. My last email was merely
just saying, that the main issues of the FTP-ing features wouldn't be
totally fixed by the 2.5 release. (Of course, I could be wrong. But I
just don't see THAT happening.) Hence for suggesting it would probably
be BEST to prepackage it as a plugin. This way, it will get tested over
a broader range of people with various setups and such. I guess what I
was meaning, is, if it's part of core... it's on demand to have it in
perfect working order NOW, not in version 2.5.015 or 5.0.

When it's part of core, folks expect all their issues to be fixed ASAP,
and that's not always possible. Most could be though, but not all
necessarily. Unless you pre-pack the updater with/ to handle various
server setup options and such. So, if User Joe is running on this
server... they could put a tick in the box and it loads "configuration
settings" and the updater uses the specific coding to handle User Joe's
setups... Then User John comes along, his server settings and such are
different from Joe's.. and he choses another option...

Having each user's server / setting options using codes for those
specific things. I'm not sure if that's possible or not, but was just
throwing it out on the table. "We" already KNOW that there is various
server setups and such, the problem is it's coded for basically a small
handful of those setups...not all. Am I right?

But again, I'd rather it be part of core, OR, a prepackaged plugin. But
either way it's done, have an email address or clickable link there for
users to be able to go and submit their issues to, or something. Then as
each user submits their issues, DD32 could get down to working on these
issues, trying to make fixes for each next upgrade versions, example:
2.5.1 or so.

Now I noticed some where along the line, the FTP feature was basically
forced for now for testing reasons. Is there a way to have the TWO
updating methods there for choosing? So not just the FTP thing is there
and forced, but is there for ANOTHER optional method of updating...
Either way, it would be awesome to have both methods available to use
and try. And will leave the door open for testing/reporting issues and
such per user basis.