[wp-testers] Automatic Plugin Upgrader

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Thu Mar 13 23:09:53 GMT 2008

Given the amount of different setups and FTP servers, I would say that if
it works for the user, then that person will greatly appreciate the
feature. If it does not work for the user, then I suggest that it be
disabled for that user.

It might increase the support, but really, if we don't have this then we
can't get ready for an automatic update of the WordPress system. If this
is the case, then the feature should note which systems it can work on and
offer the automatic upgrade and not even display for those that it is
known to not work on.

There might be questions as to what people are talking about, but not
everyone can use pretty permalinks, so it should be assumed that even less
can use the feature.

Likewise, if the issue is FTP only, then the direct method should work
fine for those that it can support. Maintaining that the library used,
could probably be looked at to whether a better one exists or if the
current one just needs to be extended, fixed, and supported.

While I don't like the thought of having even more support issues, I think
the ends will eventually outweigh the initial suffering with increased
support and tickets related to the issue.

DD32 has been doing an extremely good job at providing support. If it was
stripped out now, then it won't most likely be used by as many people. The
goal is to support everyone, but realistically, it should be assumed that
if 40% or even 20% of the user base can successfully use the feature then
it should be determined an initial success. I think that once the direct
method is enabled (hey, shouldn't that also need testing?), that even more
will be supported.

My arguments are quite frankly debatable with no substance and no facts. I
just want to say that I very much would not like to have the current
feature a plugin and function as it does now, but only having to enable it
to get the feature.

Jacob Santos

http://www.santosj.name - Personal Blog
http://funcdoc.wordpress.com - WordPress Function Documentation Blog