[wp-polyglots] Continents and cities for translation

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Sun May 17 11:49:27 GMT 2009

Slight (and probably unnecessary) performance question: I started
translating the POT, but quickly came up the realization that most
names would not need to be translated, only a dozen at most.
So far I copy/pasted the names that didn't need translation (and of
course dutifully translated those that did). But I wonder: what's the
best way to go, performance wise, since in case of an untranslated
string, WP would rely on the original strings. Would display
time/server load be better if my MO only featured translation for
string that need them, or should I copy/paste the other too, so as to
avoir back-and-forth between translation and original strings?

I've made a small test: I fully translated all of the African cities
(all the continents are already translated, 12% of all POT
translated), and saved the MO.
I then made a second version from the empty POT, creating a PO where
only continents and a few African cities where translated (3% of PO),
and saved that MO.
Result: the partial version is 1.6 kb lighter than the full one (2.78
kb minus 1.18 kb). Hence, the partial MO will certainly load faster,
but the back-and-forth question remains.

I'm already testing all strings in Wikipedia, checking for potential
official translations through the "same page in another language"
section, so copy/pasting or not is not saving a lot of my time anyway.

Should I even be concerned, for such a small file ? :)

-x.

2009/5/14 Nikolay Bachiyski <nb at nikolay.bg>:
> Hey,
>
> Probably some of you noticed the 500+ new strings in the POT file full
> of continents and cities.
>
> They are now out of the main POT file and reside in
> wordpress-continents-cities.pot [0]. If you feel like translating them
> (it's optional), you will need to use the latest trunk and place the
> translation MO file in
> wp-content/languages/continent-cities-<locale>.mo. I, myself, will
> translate at least the continents.
>
> Tomorrow I will update the rosetta packaging system to handle those,
> too. The continents file is updated created automatically once a day.
> Not that it will change much :-)
>
> Also, could somebody update the docs [1] with the info above in the right place?
>
> [0] http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/pot/trunk/wordpress-continents-cities.pot
> [1] http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress
>
> Happy translating,
> Nikolay.