[wp-polyglots] An easier way to translate wp.com

José Fontainhas jfontainhas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 15:56:57 GMT 2009

I'm gonna go right ahead and hijack this thread back to the original
question. What I want to ask of the illustrious members of this list is
if they have any ideas on how to ease the translation of wp*.COM*.

I, for one, would suggest something similar to Magento's translation
environment (http://www.magentocommerce.com/langs). Functionallly, it is
not too far removed from Entrans/Pootle/Narro/et al, but it's kept
centrally, each language is moderated, and the strings are organized in
modules (which is a *great* help).  It's pretty basic, but works well.

The main (but not the only) issues I have with
http://translate.wordpress.com are:

a) tons of redudant strings (how many times do you have to translate
'Tags'?), and
b) the lack of a hierarchy of validation. What I mean is that most
translation communities have some sort of suggestion/validation profiles
implemented, which is lacking in 'translate'. When we translate at
wp.com, or even if we managed to upload our .po/.mo to wp.com (covering
only part of the strings, see below), there's nothing stopping anybody
from changing the translation to something else. Why isn't this good? In
my view, because the community spent time debating, suggesting and
validating translations and then someone comes along and translates a
string to something else.

We have to keep in mind that wp.com's  .pos/.mos are a superset of
wp.orgs'. They also include wpmu, wp.com's themes, plugins, widgets and,
yes, bbpress...

My 0,02€

-Jose