[wp-polyglots] Using Launchpad for translation

Nikolay Bachiyski nbachiyski at developer.bg
Mon Jan 14 14:53:25 GMT 2008

2008/1/14, Jeroen Vermeulen <jtv at canonical.com>:
> Hello,

Hello Jeroen,

> The problem is this: Wordpress is registered as a project on Launchpad,
> and some people use it for translating Wordpress.  But nobody is in
> charge, and nobody knows which language teams use it.  So people try to
> help translate Wordpress to some language in Launchpad, and discover
> that nobody is using their work.  Other people register their own
> versions of the Wordpress project just to translate one version to one
> language, and nobody knows which is the "real" Wordpress.
>
> Here's how we can solve it: we set up a translation group for Wordpress
> in Launchpad.  The group consists of one team per language, and only
> members of these teams get permission to edit the translations.  Each
> team can have its own owner and manage itself, but our volunteer would
> be in charge of the translation group as a whole.  That means talking to
> Wordpress translation teams that want to use Launchpad, and making them
> members of the translation group.
>
> Who's willing to take on that role?  There'd be other things to do as
> well: registering each new major Wordpress release in Launchpad, and
> uploading the latest templates so people can translate them.  But the
> main thing is that somebody should be in charge of the Wordpress project
> on Launchpad.

I can take care, Jerone.

Also I have a few questions for you:

Is it a problem for you if Launchpad isn't the exclusive way of
translating WordPress? We have a large translators community and we
want to give them the freedom to use whatever tools they want.

Can we automate the process of synchronizing the pot file with your system?