[wp-polyglots] Using Launchpad for translation

Jeroen Vermeulen jtv at canonical.com
Tue Jan 15 12:03:06 GMT 2008

Nikolay Bachiyski wrote:

Hello Nikolay,

>> Who's willing to take on that role?  There'd be other things to do as
>> well: registering each new major Wordpress release in Launchpad, and
>> uploading the latest templates so people can translate them.  But the
>> main thing is that somebody should be in charge of the Wordpress project
>> on Launchpad.
>
> I can take care, Jerone.

Wonderful!  Are you nbachiyski on Launchpad?

I've set up a translation group here:

   https://translations.launchpad.net/+groups/wordpress-translators

You'll become the owner of this group.  I will post separate
instructions for translation teams that want to use Launchpad.

Once those teams are set up, we can limit translation access to the
members of your translation group.  That way we avoid frustrating people
who contribute to translations that aren't used.  It will be up to you
to add translation teams to the group.

> Is it a problem for you if Launchpad isn't the exclusive way of
> translating WordPress? We have a large translators community and we
> want to give them the freedom to use whatever tools they want.

That's not a problem.  It was _difficult_ before, because it's not what
we were used to, but we decided that we can support it as long as
someone is taking charge of the project.

We're actually very happy for people to be able to choose their tools
individually, as long as we can prevent the problems I mentioned.

> Can we automate the process of synchronizing the pot file with your system?

Yes, I think so.  At the moment you'd have to do it through the same
http interface that a browser would use.  I haven't tried it, but a
simple wget command line should be enough for the job.

We do ask you to set the browser identification string to something that
says who you are, so that the sysadmins know who to talk to if there's a
problem.  See the very bottom of this page:
https://help.launchpad.net/TermsofUse

Many thanks for helping with this.

Jeroen