[wp-polyglots] Using Launchpad for translation

Jeroen Vermeulen jtv at canonical.com
Mon Jan 14 14:10:08 GMT 2008

Hello,

I have a question for people who use launchpad.net to translate Wordpress.

The Wordpress site suggests Launchpad as one of several tools.  We here
in the Launchpad Translations development team have had some problems
with this—our process really wasn't designed for it.  We'd like to
change that, so that Launchpad can be more useful to you.  But we need a
volunteer!

The problem is this: Wordpress is registered as a project on Launchpad,
and some people use it for translating Wordpress.  But nobody is in
charge, and nobody knows which language teams use it.  So people try to
help translate Wordpress to some language in Launchpad, and discover
that nobody is using their work.  Other people register their own
versions of the Wordpress project just to translate one version to one
language, and nobody knows which is the "real" Wordpress.

Here's how we can solve it: we set up a translation group for Wordpress
in Launchpad.  The group consists of one team per language, and only
members of these teams get permission to edit the translations.  Each
team can have its own owner and manage itself, but our volunteer would
be in charge of the translation group as a whole.  That means talking to
Wordpress translation teams that want to use Launchpad, and making them
members of the translation group.

Who's willing to take on that role?  There'd be other things to do as
well: registering each new major Wordpress release in Launchpad, and
uploading the latest templates so people can translate them.  But the
main thing is that somebody should be in charge of the Wordpress project
on Launchpad.

Jeroen Vermeulen
Launchpad Translations team