[wp-polyglots] catalan locale on wordpress.org

René Clausen Nielsen rcn at shevy.dk
Thu Jan 10 14:36:36 GMT 2008

My examples did include Brazilian Portuguese exactly to make it clear that I
am fully aware that some languages are different per country and/or region.
And some countries have more than one language. If I find "WordPress |
Switzerland", what am I to expect? Will the site be in Italian? German?
French?

The sites are supposed to be in the language of the version of the
translation (and perhaps the packaging feature can actually only handle one
locale from the repository?) and so every site will (should) have just one
translation. The translations are - as you correctly point out - named after
locale_country/region. And so should the sites. That would imply that
languages with only the locale in the file names should be "WordPress |
Language" while locale.country/region files would have sites named
"WordPress | Language Country" (or probably more often "WordPress | Country
Language"). Your examples would be something like:

"WordPress | Deutsch"
"WordPress | Österreichisches Deutsch"
"WordPress | Español"
"WordPress | Español mexicano"
"WordPress | Português brasileiro"
"WordPress | Português"

At least that's the best solution I can think of as that is the exact
structure of locales as it is. And yes, I do believe that the countries in
which the language has it's origins can leave out the name of the country.
"WordPress | Deutsch Deutsch" would just be awful :)

At some point, I hope an automatically updated list of available
translations will become available on wp.org and having a list where some of
the names are of countries and others of languages would make it pretty
messy.

Regards,

René