AW: [wp-polyglots] catalan locale on wordpress.org

Francesc Hervada-Sala francesc at hervada.org
Thu Jan 10 07:27:17 GMT 2008

Hello René,
  Von: René Clausen Nielsen
  Datum: Mittwoch, 9. Januar 2008 10:19
  An: wp-polyglots at lists.automattic.com
  Betreff: Re: [wp-polyglots] catalan locale on wordpress.org

  [...]
  In my opinion language should be the denominator as WordPress should be a global effort in different languages, not specific for different countries. If I go to wp.org, I would look for WordPress in another language than English, not for WordPress from another country or region.

Well, I think for many languages, you look for the language itself, but if you are a native speaker of a language such as German, Spanish or Portuguiesisch, you do look for the country. Thats why the locale codes contain a language code (always) + a country code (not always): de_DE (german/Germany), de_AT (german/Austria), es_ES (spanisch/Spain), es_MX (spanisch/Mexico), pt_BR (portuguese/Brazil), pt_PT (portuguese/Portugal) etc.

Don't you think so?

Regards,

Francesc