[wp-polyglots] Theme translation

René Clausen Nielsen rcn at shevy.dk
Mon Mar 19 17:01:13 GMT 2007

2007/3/19, Xavier Borderie <xavier at borderie.net>:

> What's more, because the translation is hardcoded, we have to comb
> through any new version of the theme in order to see which file needs
> to be redone. This wouldn't be a problem if the theme didn't evolve,
> but it's a fact. It's cumbersome enough to have to hardcode the
> translation for some files at every version...

I second that. Furthermore, I do believe that most people who would alter
the theme would understand enough English to get by regardless of the
gettext functions. Should some l10n team (particularly non western, I guess)
think that they'd have to hardcode the translation, I'm certain they would
be able to wipe out the gettext strings just as easy as simply translating
the bits we have already translated. Actually, it would probably be a lot
easier to pinpoint the strings in need of translation if they are marked by
__e's etc.

I say, leave it to the translation team to decide whether their users would
be able to insert new functions in a gettexted theme or not.

/René