[wp-polyglots] WP MU Polyglot question

Nikolay Bachiyski nbachiyski at developer.bg
Mon Apr 2 06:35:21 GMT 2007

Hello Brian,

2007/4/1, Brian Layman <Brian at thecodecave.com>:

> I am currently converting 115 blogs of various languages. It looks like I
> need to specify the WPLANG in site options upon its conversion.
>
> So I guess need to find the following .mo files:
> de-DE
> zh-TW
>
> Where would I look for those?

Usually at:

http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/$lang/trunk/messages/$lang.mo or
http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/$lang/tags/$tag/messages/$lang.mo

If there isn't a mo file, usually there is at least a po, whihcg is
already quite translated and you can convert it easily to a mo [0].

> OK reading up on this all I've learned the following:

> * No one has taken the lead for internationalization in the WPMU project.
> Therefore there is no specific place to download individual .mo files nor
> packs of translations.
>
> * Some people report that WordPress .mo file work with WordPressMU. However,
> it is also clear that those files are missing things and are not really
> correct for WPMU.

However, a great deal of the strings are correct. For example on
wordpress.com they started using these mo files and the translations
were decent. Yes, they do not fit perfectly, but it is flying start.

> Will I get 70%-80% there if I use WordPress .mo files? Or would it be better
> to copy an english mu mo file over for all of my needed .mo files?

I guess even more.

> Do any of you have any thoughts on whether or not my theory is correct?

If you really want perfect translation, you could contact the
WordPress translators [1] and propose them to translate MU also. Many
of them will be happy to.

Happy l10n,
Nikolay.

[0] msgfmt lang.po -o lang.mo