[wp-polyglots] WP MU Polyglot question

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Sun Apr 1 20:45:39 GMT 2007

I know this is somewhat off topic, for which I appologise, but this is
where you guys live and it seems that you might know the answer to this
better than anyone currently browsing the WPMU forum.  I think it has
now turned into a basic  .mo usage question.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this: (Edited from the original at
http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3931)

I am currently converting 115 blogs of various languages. It looks like
I need to specify the WPLANG in site options upon its conversion.

So I guess need to find the following .mo files:
de-DE
en
en-AU
en-CA
en-GB
en-US
es-MX
fr-FR
ja
pt-BR
zh-TW

Where would I look for those?

[...]

OK reading up on this all I've learned the following:

* .mo files files for the machine to read that are created by manually
massaging .po files that are initially converted from .pot files that
are machine created from the source code.  If I knew the language I
could build the required .pot file and fill in the .po file myself.
Unfortunately, that's not my situation.

* No one has taken the lead for internationalization in the WPMU
project. Therefore there is no specific place to download individual .mo
files nor packs of translations.

* Some people report that WordPress .mo file work with WordPressMU.
However, it is also clear that those files are missing things and are
not really correct for WPMU.

It all that correct?

If so, I'm modifying my question to:
If you use a WordPress .mo file in WordPressMU is it true that all
phrases shared between WordPress and WordPressMU will be translated?
That means that most of the stuff for the individual blogs will be
translated just fine. Yes?

Will I get 70%-80% there if I use WordPress .mo files? Or would it be
better to copy an english mu mo file over for all of my needed .mo
files?

Do any of you have any thoughts on whether or not my theory is correct?

Thanks for the help!