[wp-hackers] absolute URLs in plug-ins and custom types

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sun Jul 8 06:01:49 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM, Shasta Willson <shastaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> But I'm not sure why you think other people creating patches for a
> flaw in WordPress addresses the issue.

Your continually calling it a "flaw" doesn't help. I don't consider it
to be a flaw, or a bug, or anything else. It's an edge case. A *rare*
edge case, at that.

But if you haven't tried it, if you haven't used the code, then I have
no means by which to judge. I'm not moving sites around, I have no
basis on which to judge. How am I supposed to know what works and what
doesn't and what code to look at if people are merely saying "I have a
problem" but not saying "here's something that worked for me"?

This is *open-source*. Anybody is free to contribute. If you have a
problem, that's fine, and I understand your pain. But unless you also
say "here's a solution that worked" then I have nothing to build upon.
Last I checked, WordPress was free software. Unless you're
contributing somehow, you haven't paid for it. And you don't need to
be a massive code expert to contribute, just saying "this plugin is
awesome and solves a bunch of problems for me" is pretty darned good
too, because it tells the core developers what code to look at, what
code works, what the problems are, and what to emulate in order to
solve those issues.

Anybody can point out a problem. It's far more useful to also point
out solutions.

-Otto