[wp-hackers] absolute URLs in plug-ins and custom types

Shasta Willson shastaw at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 05:51:00 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 10:31 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> But if you haven't tried, then I'd also like to know that as well. We
> have a lot of code out there, if something is broke, then by all means
> *tell me*.

The only one that would remotely meet my standards for plug-in
selection is this one:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-move Only 17 reviews,
but a very good closure rate in the forums.  However it is also a very
young plug-in -- launched just six months ago.  Normally I'd steer a
client away from a plug-in without a longer track record and more
reviews, particularly for something so critical.  That said, the
fellow seems to be very sincere and responsive, which bodes well.
He's also a student, which means he may or may not maintain it when he
graduates (or school gets busy.)

Yes, I look at these things every time I consider a plug-in.
Particularly if it interacts with the database, since I'm relying on
someone else's security measures. I build sites commercially, so I
need a commercial level of reliability in the tools I adopt.
Sometimes that means a paid plug-in.  Often it means a well
established mature one.  The wide availability of those is one of the
great things about WordPress.

But I'm not sure why you think other people creating patches for a
flaw in WordPress addresses the issue.  WordPress is being promoted as
a serious CMS contender.  A lot of my dev friends sneer at it, but I
think it has a HUGE amount of potential due to the rapid development
and ease of end-user content creation.  But serious grown up systems
have serious grown up solutions for development path issues.  Not
hacks or a plug-in some fellow might stop supporting.

- Shasta