[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Mon Oct 31 15:14:01 UTC 2011

On Oct 31, 2011, at 10:20 AM, Dagan Henderson wrote:
> I've seen a handful of graceful, automatable suggestions for creating dev-staging-production solutions, and still "team-enterprise" is pushing for inclusion in core. What, exactly, is wrong with a plugin? It's precise definition (a set of software components that adds specific capabilities to a larger software application) is a perfect fit for this case.

I'm not taking a public position on the URL debate, but I will say that a plugin requires everyone to rediscover what works and what doesn't and the lack of standardizations means everyone who is working on the problem is working on a proprietary vs. a shared solution. Yes that's okay for "Yet Another Related Posts" plugin, but IMO not okay for a deployment solution.

It's things like this that enable the Drupal folks to still have viable reasons why people should choose Drupal over WordPress (vs. the billion other reasons people should usually choose WordPress over Drupal.)

-Mike