[wp-hackers] Two new, long-overdue plugins to make your wordpress life a little easier...

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Oct 31 19:36:35 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 5:14 AM, Robert Lusby <nanogwp at gmail.com> wrote:
> So Otto - you cleary have no concept of heavy enterprise development. Here's
> the process:

I know the process quite well, thanks. I have developed billion dollar
systems for multi-billion dollar companies. Please don't read more
into my statements than what is actually said. Just because I think
that relative URLs suck doesn't mean all the nonsense you're reading
into it is anything that I agree with. You're just taking it and
running with it, aren't you?

You can develop a system perfectly well with dev/test/production
methodologies without having to continually migrate content around and
fiddle with URLs. Basically, you don't build in any dependencies on
the URL being used, and you don't "stage" the actual content itself.

Don't confuse the content with the container. For example, if you're
making a change to a theme, then you're changing the container. The
content is the stuff in your database, in the posts table.

There are cases where URLs are being stored in serialized data, and
that's wrong. Those should be fixed on an individual basis. However,
this is a far cry from wanting relative URLs in your content itself.

-Otto