[wp-hackers] Controller Implementation

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Fri Jul 2 23:52:35 UTC 2010

On Jul 2, 2010, at 7:43 PM, Brian Layman wrote:
> Wow, I'd not read this ticket yet. You and Mike have put a lot of work into
> the design.  I've made it about halfway through the ticket, but have to get
> back on task.  I just want to say thank you for your effort so far. I will
> keep reading.

Yes, a bit of work.  Thanks for noticing. :)

> The only thing that I'd like to observe right now is that we need to
> remember that point #2, covered by Mike's ticket, has two implications 1.
> that when a request arrives at the site, isolating a single post may not be
> possible and

Note sure I follow.  Can you clarify with an example or two?

> 2. when permalinks are determined as a "post" is created, a
> unique permalink can no-longer be guaranteed.

Again, not sure I follow.  And again, can you clarify with an example or two?

> Your proposal covers both situations, if the editor first queries the router
> and then queries the returned controller.

By "your proposal" do you mean Jacob's or mine?  Who/want is "the editor?"  When you say "router", do you mean the existing WP_Rewrite or the WP_Routes I was proposing?

> Changing permalink structures should cause a reverification of posts
> before it is accepted, but thinking of the workload caused by that on
> large sites makes me cringe.

I also don't follow that. What do you mean by "re-verification" and who/what is doing the "accepting?" Is the workload human or computer?

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

-Mike