[wp-hackers] Controller Implementation

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Sat Jul 3 00:55:07 UTC 2010

Sure.. Maybe this will help..  If I am still not making sense, just nm it's
been a long day. It makes sense to me at least :D

>> when a request arrives at the site, isolating a single post may not be
>> possible
> Note sure I follow.  Can you clarify with an example or two?
This was a basically a reiteration of your initial statement in #12935:
  As WordPress grows into a proper CMS with MultiSite and Custom Post Types
and Custom Taxonomies there are frequent opportunities for URL conflict that
didn't occur as often with just Posts and Pages.
Here's a simple example, let's say a company uses WordPress for their
website and they offer development services as well as training on their
website:
http://example.com/services/vmware/
http://example.com/training/vmware/

>> 2. when permalinks are determined as a "post" is created, a
>> unique permalink can no-longer be guaranteed.
> Again, not sure I follow.  And again, can you clarify with an example or
two?
When you are creating a new post, if there is a conflict, the permalink/slug
is modified to prevent the conflict in the first place (by adding a -2 or
whatever). If the goal is to create a system that can quickly identify the
globally unique target for an URL, I would seem that there is a tie in to
this functionality. It should be able to tell you if the proposed permalink
would an existing target.

>> Your proposal covers both situations, if the editor first queries the
router
>> and then queries the returned controller.
>By "your proposal" do you mean Jacob's or mine?  Who/want is "the editor?"
When you say "router", do you mean the existing WP_Rewrite >or the WP_Routes
I was proposing?
You=Jacob, as I was replying to his post to the list and the Router &
controller concepts as discussed there-in. You'd not replied yet when I hit
send.

>> Changing permalink structures should cause a reverification of posts
>> before it is accepted, but thinking of the workload caused by that on
>> large sites makes me cringe.
> I also don't follow that. What do you mean by "re-verification" and
who/what is doing the "accepting?"
> Is the workload human or computer?
I added this as I was thinking about how a blog admin could choose a new
globally unique.

Hope that helps...

-b