[wp-hackers] What Is Considered Bloat?

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Thu Feb 5 01:43:33 GMT 2009

Eric Marden wrote:
> Anything not absolutely necessary for WordPress to complete its mission
> of being the best blogging platform on the planet is considered bloat.

I would just like to point out that while the people who choose what
gets committed to the official WP repository may not be open to adding
your favorite feature to WP core, they usually will be open to the
idea of adding a hook so your favorite feature will integrate well
with WP without you having to branch your own version. (At least,
that's been my experience.) Isn't that good enough?

I think the core features of WP are a pretty good subset of what most
people need for blogging and basic web site CMS, and while I can think
of a few plugins I might wish were in core, others would probably have
a different list -- so probably the feature set is more or less right.

So I would amend Eric's statement to say "to complete its mission of
being the best *extensible* blogging platform".  I don't think that is
a bad thing.

     --Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon * Poplar ProductivityWare
www.poplarware.com

Drupal/WordPress Sites, Themes, Modules/Plugins
Custom Web Programming, Web Databases
PHP, Perl, MySQL, JavaScript, XML, AJAX