[wp-hackers] Improving WordPress Core Development

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Tue Dec 29 08:28:56 UTC 2009

On 29 Dec 2009, at 07:47, Dion Hulse (dd32) wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:42:44 +1100, Jorge Bernal <koke at amedias.org>
> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 29, 2009, at 8:36 AM, Dion Hulse (dd32) wrote:
>>

>>> I see a few things that WordPress needs:
>>> * A clear policy on what types of patches goes into what release,
>>> specifically, point releases - http://westi.wordpress.com/2009/12/19/what-should-go-into-a-wordpress-maintenance-release/
>>> * A clear policy on when the last enhancement ticket gets commited
>>> (Feature Frozen)
>>
>> To add a bit on the "Feature Freeze", is quite common in other open
>> source projects to have a "String Freeze" (no user visible strings
>> change), so translators can do their job before the final release
>
> WordPress does do a string freeze, usually its a week or 2 before
> release. Some changes are absolutely needed however, so its mainly a
> case of really avoid changing the string unless its absolutely
> needed. Mentioning that along with the rest would be good though,
> like i said, Some of it takes place, its just not published that a
> general "spec" is being followed.

Indeed.

Unfortunately for 2.9 we had to change more strings that we would have
liked after the String Freeze.

I did try and keep the translation teams in the loop and once the
changes had settled again let them know of the differences between the
frozen version and the release candidate.

Cheers

Peter
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5