[wp-hackers] Improving WordPress Core Development

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Dec 29 19:00:48 UTC 2009

On Dec 29, 2009, at 2:36 AM, Dion Hulse (dd32) wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 07:31:46 +1100, Dan Cole <wp at dan-cole.com> wrote:
>> <snip>
>
> Sounds good to me, Here's my long brainstorm of some changes which could be useful.
> Please note, That when i say a clear policy, I mainly mean a published document somewhere redibly accessable by users that explains it all. I also do not intend to attack anyone personally, if something i mention sounds like something you may have done, Do not take it as an arguement, Its mainly my opinion of how i'd like to see things happen.
>
> I'd like to preface it by saying that WordPress in general seems to be staying pretty open about whats happening, although i agree that sometimes theres a bit of a "so and so said this was coming in 3.0!" etc sort of item before theres even been a meeting to decide.. but sometimse developers will get behind something and do it, knowing its in the end users best interests, you have to trust them sometimes :) - Make sure you read the Setting Scope blog post however before anyone comments on that statement please.

I'd really like to see a User Voice site set up for WordPress, for example:

http://xero.uservoice.com

Using User Voice the community could really get a clear picture of what the community is interested in rather than the anecdotal evidence that it seems is currently used.

UserVoice is free for Open Source:

http://uservoice.com/for/opensource

>  * Its my opinion, That no feature request should ever be opened on trac first, should be brought up on wp-hackers or the support forums first (Or another location with lots of WP'ers. or Unless it has been put past a core developer who strongly supports it)

I'd agree in principle but in practice, at least on this list there is a small yet very vocal group of people who make it their personal mission to thwart any initiative that they don't particularly agree with.  For that to change new ground rules requiring people to be respectful of other's opinions would need to be set and someone with authority to moderate the list would need to be set up to do so. Honestly I don't see a moderator as workable nor the culture of this list changing, and if it doesn't then this list is not the proper place to discuss new features.

It would be far better to use UserVoice.  Lots of companies are using it to great avail; why not WordPress? That way you've got a lot more transparency and a lot less noise and personal attacks.

> More In general:
> * I think people need to realise when they're solution is not best, I am myself guilty of this, and so have many others. I've seen too many people flood trac/wp-hackers without reconising what could potentially be their mis-understanding of a problem, the suggestion, or to be fair, sometimes may not have a indepth knowledge of the issue to understand the effects of it
>  * So i ask people to think of that next time in an arguement, try to keep your mind open, Even if it goes against every bone in your body to even consider the other approach, it pays off to at least look it over.

People are going to be people and w/o a moderator who enforces certain behavior w/o taking sides, nothing will change on the wp-hackers list.

JMTCW, FWIW.

-Mike Schinkel