[wp-hackers] Improving WordPress Core Development

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Tue Dec 29 07:47:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:42:44 +1100, Jorge Bernal <koke at amedias.org> wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2009, at 8:36 AM, Dion Hulse (dd32) wrote:
>

>> I see a few things that WordPress needs:
>> * A clear policy on what types of patches goes into what release,
>> specifically, point releases -
>> http://westi.wordpress.com/2009/12/19/what-should-go-into-a-wordpress-maintenance-release/
>> * A clear policy on when the last enhancement ticket gets commited
>> (Feature Frozen)
>
> To add a bit on the "Feature Freeze", is quite common in other open
> source projects to have a "String Freeze" (no user visible strings
> change), so translators can do their job before the final release

WordPress does do a string freeze, usually its a week or 2 before release.
Some changes are absolutely needed however, so its mainly a case of really
avoid changing the string unless its absolutely needed. Mentioning that
along with the rest would be good though, like i said, Some of it takes
place, its just not published that a general "spec" is being followed.