[wp-hackers] Any way to bypass $wp->query_posts()?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Thu Apr 9 14:41:32 GMT 2009

Scribu:

> Instead of debating what's the best solution for this, why
> not just post a trac ticket with the "if" statement and see
> practical reactions, instead of theoretical ones?

Thanks for the suggestion. Failing what I was hoping to cultivate here, submitting that patch was my next planned step.

What I wanted to discuss here was not *if* we should address this but instead *how* we would address it. There are numerous ways I could envision addressing it, each with different pros and cons. A $wp variable? A $wp_query variable? A filter?  Does the if go in main()?  In query()? Or elsewhere? It's not productive for anyone for me to submit patch upon patch, each with a different way to approach it.

Unfortunately it seems this list much more often devolves into limiting "if" debates rather than the much more fruitful and intellectually stimulating discussions of issues people are having and how to address them. OTOH from my admittedly limited experience Trac tickets turn into a binary yes/no on a particular implementation with neither the technical mechanism nor the social processes to resolve any particular issue. For example, this [1] ticket got a thumb's down and my requests for clarification died on the vine.

Without a place to discuss *how*, most contributors to Trac are forced to participate in a frustrating game of Whack-a-Mole where we are the moles and the frequent Trac contributors are the whackers. It may feel good for you to whack us, but it doesn't contribute positively to growing the number of respected and respectful contributors. FWIW.

-Mike Schinkel
Custom Wordpress Plugins
http://mikeschinkel.com/custom-wordpress-plugins

[1] http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9460