[wp-hackers] Permalink problems

Harish Narayanan harish.mlists at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 20:35:44 GMT 2008

Eric Marden wrote:

>>> Are any of the links on your blog using that format?
>>>
>> No, Eric. WordPress's default format is this:
>> http://www.mysite.com/?p=18
>>
>> The Permalinks (friendly urls) format is this:
>> http://www.mysite.com/2006/07/12/here-is-my-story/
>>
>> I am seeing 404 errors in Google for links that append the default to
>> the Permalink:
>> http://www.mysite.com/2006/07/12/here-is-my-story/?p=18
>

> I'm familiar with the two link styles, but am trying to determine where
> google learned of the combined version of the URLs. In other words, if
> your blog isn't publishing links with the friendly URL and the
> querystring in it, google had to learn of those links some where.
>
> Do you have any plugins publishing an XML site map or anything like
> that? Do they contain those type of links?

You (the OP) can find out which pages are linking using the /?p=xy
format using the "Linked from" attribute of the Google Web Master Tools
table.

If they're under your control, you ought to change them. If they're
under your control and you've already changed them, allow a few days for
Google to re-crawl your site and update its indexes.

Harish