[wp-hackers] Dropping the Ball

Robin Adrianse robin.adr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 02:35:15 GMT 2007

What would be done to support them? Keeping the _categories and _post2cat
and other tables and populating them as well would be a major hindrance, and
regular expressions on DB queries would just be a royal PITA.

Reality is, things have to change sometime, and I for one think the
WordPress development team did a fine job, both in keeping the old function
API and especially in attempting to give due notice to plugin developers and
the like. Extensive lists of compatibility were made on the wiki, numerous
posts were made on the development blog, which shows up in every WordPress
dashboard (unless otherwise removed). I don't know what more could have
done.

So I don't think they "dropped the ball" at all. The WP dev team was
extremely conscious of the incompatibilities that took place and tried to
limit the negative effects that the changes were sure to create.