[wp-hackers] 2.3 Features

Matt speedboxer at gmail.com
Thu May 17 05:46:18 GMT 2007

On 5/16/07, spencerp <spencerp1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, well... not everyone will or would agree with that. After all,
> it's taking away "mad props",  and we can't forget the PR!! However,
> this isn't about stripping "them" (those folks currently listed on
> there) as such, to do "them" harm or whatever.
>
> People like "change" from time to time. So, rather then it be looked at
> as "big" humongous ripping of their PRs, and ripping their links off
> "just because"... how about looking at it from another point of view?
> And that's replacing those links with USEFUL links, to various useful
> resources that people need the most?
>
> Especially after an install! It's basically the first thing listed on
> there for Lord's sake LOL. If Dolly or Donny Dumbass gets their install
> done FINALLY after numerous repeated questions and stuff in the
> forums... and they get a Blog Roll with nothing but links to people's
> sites they really don't give a squat about to begin with, how's that
> going to help too?
>
> IMHO, if I was a nOOb, after getting the installation done... I'd rather
> see links there such as:
>
> Codex
> Podz's Tuts Page
> WordPress Support forums (even though those links are inside the
> wp-admin panel, all over. People might notice them right away, but it'd
> be the first thing they'd see though once getting to index page)
> Theme Viewer(s)
> Plugin link(s) (For codex section and or main plugin repository.)
>
> And whatever else anyone thinks is useful. After all, most of the time
> when people get done with their installations, they think "Ok, now how
> do I change this theme!?" Or, "Ok, now how can I tweak this theme to do
> what I want it to do?!", Or, "Where can I get mods/plugins for this new
> awesome WP blog of mine!?"...
>
> Rather then them having to find there ways around to certain specific
> locations on the .ORG site, it'd be right there, smack dab on their
> index page of new installation! Well, what ya know.. that's more helpful
> then links to people's sites they don't really want to read anyway...
> whee! LOL
>
> Besides that, like I suggested here too>
>
> http://wordpress.org/extend/ideas/topic.php?id=560&page&replies=14#post-2725
> And here>
>
> http://wordpress.org/extend/ideas/topic.php?id=560&page&replies=14#post-2729
>
> They can even "make" a Contributor section in the dashboard index, or,
> whatever. Give them a little special place in there maybe? Also, please
> don't forget! There is of course this page here:
> http://wordpress.org/about/ besides the Dashboard itself that holds a
> good number of reads from those already in the default Blog Roll.
>
> This whole discussion, (which Wank originally brought up and everyone
> knows about) isn't intended to slight anyone as such. It's to hopefully
> HELP the nOObs a little better. As well as provide "change" to the Blog
> Roll. Again, IMHO... it would be far more useful with helpful useful
> [...]
Those links wouldn't really fit for the Main Blog, but in the Admin they
would. Because why would the Blog's viewers need to see those links. Of
course most people would get rid of those links. :P

"proudly powered" should just become "powered". Why bring opinions into it?
If they want to put proudly, they can edit the theme. We should just keep it
generic.

As for the current blogroll, it's fine, in my opinion. Most people will just
get rid of the default links and replace them with their own. Just like the
default post and the default comment. Or just get rid of the default links
all together, maybe put them in the Admin.

--
Matt (speedboxer at gmail.com)
http://mattsblog.ca/ | http://livemp.net/