[wp-hackers] WP issues

Geoffrey Sneddon foolistbar at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 6 16:53:29 GMT 2007

On 6 Jun 2007, at 17:26, Charles wrote:

>>> tag, solidus and all.

> No, you said, "HTML disallows the solidus on empty tags."  You see the
> solidus there, right?   :^P

Neither SGML or XML call <p></p> an empty tag Learn the difference
between a tag and an element. <p></p> is a start tag followed by a
close tag. It is not a tag.

>>> HTML is not SGML.
>>
>> HTML is. I've explicitly cited the spec yet you refuse to accept
>> what the spec says? What's unclear about "HTML 4 is an SGML
>> application conforming to International Standard ISO 8879 --
>> Standard Generalized Markup Language [ISO8879]."?
>
> SGML is a system for defining markup languages.  HTML is a markup
> language
> that uses some SGML constructs.  While HTML bears a close
> resemblance to an
> SGML application, it is a separate language with its own parsing
> rules.

According to HTML 4.01, it is an SGML application. HTML 4.01, though
irrelevant in the real world, is the current HTML recommendation.

>   If
> HTML parsers treated HTML as an SGML application, the web would
> break.  Note
> that HTML 5 proposals stop even pretending that HTML is an SGML
> application.

"proposals"? Which others (apart from the WHATWG/W3C HTML WG one) are
you referring to? HTML5 still disallows non-empty elements to close
themselves (like <p/>). It allows empty elements to have a solidus
present, though that was only after many complained for the sole
reason of its appearance.

- Geoffrey Sneddon