[wp-hackers] WP issues

Charles lists07 at wiltgen.net
Wed Jun 6 16:26:16 GMT 2007

>> tag, solidus and all.

No, you said, "HTML disallows the solidus on empty tags."  You see the
solidus there, right?   :^P

>> HTML is not SGML.
>
> HTML is. I've explicitly cited the spec yet you refuse to accept
> what the spec says? What's unclear about "HTML 4 is an SGML
> application conforming to International Standard ISO 8879 --
> Standard Generalized Markup Language [ISO8879]."?

SGML is a system for defining markup languages.  HTML is a markup language
that uses some SGML constructs.  While HTML bears a close resemblance to an
SGML application, it is a separate language with its own parsing rules.  If
HTML parsers treated HTML as an SGML application, the web would break.  Note
that HTML 5 proposals stop even pretending that HTML is an SGML application.
Enough said, I think.

-- Charles