[wp-hackers] A new category structure for WordPress

Knut-Olav Hoven hovenko at linpro.no
Sat Apr 14 23:39:26 GMT 2007

On Sunday 15 April 2007 01:05:02 Robert Deaton wrote:
> On 4/14/07, Knut-Olav Hoven <hovenko at linpro.no> wrote:
> > I just wrote a ticket on trac that describes what I think is a better way
> > to handle categories than what we have today, especially since tags more
> > and more take over for categorizing posts.
> >
> > The ticket is to find here:
> > http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4148
> >
> > Basically it describes using pages as a parent/category for posts and
> > only one per post.
>
> A _strong_ -1
Ok, not a very good start ;)

> Quick, concise reasons:
> - Pages aren't containers for posts
They don't have to be. I just say they could.

> - Assigning to multiple categories is essential
Multiple tags?

> - Tags are not a replacement for hierarchical category structures
Combined tags when searching gives you allmost the same functionality.

> "especially since tags more and more take over for categorizing posts."
> Something is wrong with that statement.
Isn't the "hype" these days to tag everything?

Microsoft is doing this in WinFS with metadata on each file, OSX does it with
Finder, Linux does it with Beagle and Google does it with Google Desktop.

Browsing directories (and categories) is no longer the preferred solution for
finding what you are really looking for.

--
Knut-Olav Hoven
Systemutvikler               mob: +47 986 71 700