[wp-hackers] Plugin Update Checker

Martin Fitzpatrick martin.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 09:24:24 GMT 2007

On 03/04/07, DD32 <wordpress at dd32.id.au> wrote:
> I've put a Summer of Code project proposal in for that idea..
> Plus a few other things in there,
> I've allready started working on related parts of it, and plan on
> releasing something even if my proposal isnt accepted.
> I'm planning on having it being able to automatically install most
> plugins/themes, and checking updates periodically automatically.

Are you hosting the development of this somewhere (such as the
wp-plugins SVN) so we can all join in?

For the update checking bit the code out of my own update checker (
www.mutube.com/projects/wordpress/update-manager/ ) could probably be
gutted and used for the display. It checks with the data from
wp-plugins.net rather than wp-plugins.org.

Wp-plugins.net chucks out the data in serialised variable form, e.g.
http://wp-plugins.net/get_plugin_data.php?filter=im-online ( see:
http://wp-plugins.net/faq.html ) which might be worth a thought - it
avoids overhead of xml / feeds especially when you're checking
multiple plugins.

Martin