[wp-hackers] alternative database support

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Tue Oct 10 21:16:17 GMT 2006

>All I'm saying is that if the folks that want PostgreSQL/SQLite/etc.
>all work together on an ADOdb port, this work can benefit and be
>leverages by others. I think that having a single fork around
>additional database support is a lot better idea than a fork for each
>database type.

Agreed about the tracks/forks.

Also, perhaps the adoption of the WP API (so to speak) to access the DB
rather than straight SQL commands has to be more universal before this can
take off at full speed.  Heck, people still insert posts using queries
rather than core code.  We just saw that question here this month and I'm
sure there are other examples in the field.  When the core can do everything
needed and the current plugins authors and hackers can teach
those-who-come-after to only use core calls to access the DB, you'll be able
to make the DB access a modular black box that can be replaced at will.

The team that eventually does this might have a good start if they looked at
where SQL is used in all of the plugins and determining if there are methods
to handle that in the core and if not, adding it if it is needed.  By
completely modularizing the DB access this way, their job might be a lot
easier in the end.