[wp-hackers] Easytags template system

Chris Casciano chris at placenamehere.com
Wed May 10 12:56:15 GMT 2006

On May 10, 2006, at 3:07 AM, Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> Owen Winkler wrote:
>> There is a large body of other arguments against easytags and for
>> native code.  I'm omitting those here to prevent myself from
>> imploding.
>
> I wasn't suggesting a template system at all, just a filter on the WP
> template-editing textareas that make the template syntax friendlier
> for people editing through the web form.

My thought from the sidelines on this one is that while I don't doubt
that the current use of <?php ?> might be intimidating to a new user,
I'd worry about the confusion that would be created when the new user
finally learns the new masked syntax and then wants to graduate out of
the admin window, wants to inspect another theme, reads a tutorial
written somewhere or otherwise encounters <?php ?> and now has to go
reconcile the masking system you've gone and implemented.

Would the confusion or intimidation presented by two "different"
template syntaxes be better or worse then the current intimidation
issues you're trying to solve?

--
[ Chris Casciano ]
[ chris at placenamehere.com ] [ http://placenamehere.com ]