[wp-hackers] Porting Wordpress to PostgreSQL

Andrew Krespanis leftjustified at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 02:02:18 GMT 2006

Just writing to put my hat in the ring...

I've got pretty extensive experience with adoDB and I'm already
investigating a WPmu-to-Oracle port for my primary employer.

If anyone else is interested in a more complete abstraction, not just
mod's for one DB in particular; count me in.

The other advantage of adoDB that isn't mentioned in the wiki page is
that if you have the extension compiled in it will automatically use
the functions from that and is pretty damn fast :)
PEAR's DB abstraction sucks. Sorry to any PEAR fans reading this ;p

cheers,
Andrew.

On 3/21/06, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> Matt Galvin wrote:
> > Is there currently an effort (or a plan) to get WP working with post?
>
> At this point it's unlikely that we'll officially support any other
> databases besides MySQL becuse (a) doing so is a lot harder than just
> swapping out ezSQL and (b) it increases the testing and support costs
> quite a bit.
>
> That said, as Ryan indicated we are making improvements to the schema
> and such that may incidentally help out people porting WP to alternative
> databases.
>
> --
> Matt Mullenweg
>   http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org
> http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com

http://leftjustified.net/
~ Show me one user that actually needs a 'reset' button on a web form
and I'll show you 50 that clicked it by mistake and left your site in
disgust. :)