[wp-hackers] Plugin Management and Autoupdate System

Arne Brachhold himself at arnebrachhold.de
Sun Jul 30 22:52:00 GMT 2006

Hi,

Computer Guru wrote:
> The simple answer is that we don't need to. We can get the plugin info
> straight from the authors, so why should we go through a middle-man?

At least the update check would work with all plugins already
registered there. A centralized structure should be also more reliable
than the authors sites. Sites move, get deleted, get out of bandwidth
etc. How would an updater deal with that?
A centralized server (maybe supported by automattic?) could run
forever and avoid these issues.

Another point is that most bloggers (and plugin authors) have
low-budget web accounts (me too) with limited bandwidth and I don't
want that plugin update checks eat it up.

Rob Miller wrote:
> Definitely definitely seconding this. Every single third-party site that
> collects together community efforts I've ever seen (wp-plugins.net, the
> various Firefox plugin sites etc) has been consistently slow at getting
> updated, whether, in the case of author-updated sites.

Maybe this would change if there is an updater plugin. As an plugin
developer I want to notify my existing users about changes and such a
plugin is a very good way for that. Of course there needs to be a
large user base of the plugin so that this happens.

Best regards,

  Arne Brachhold

--
Arne Brachhold