[wp-hackers] Plugin Management and Autoupdate System

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Sun Jul 30 22:56:47 GMT 2006

> Rob Miller wrote:
> > Definitely definitely seconding this. Every single third-party site
> > that collects together community efforts I've ever seen
> > (wp-plugins.net, the various Firefox plugin sites etc) has been
> > consistently slow at getting updated, whether, in the case of author-
> updated sites.
>
> Maybe this would change if there is an updater plugin. As an plugin
> developer I want to notify my existing users about changes and such a
> plugin is a very good way for that. Of course there needs to be a large
> user base of the plugin so that this happens.

Firefox _has_ a plugin update checker and it hasn't helped there.

> registered there. A centralized structure should be also more reliable
> than the authors sites. Sites move, get deleted, get out of bandwidth
> etc. How would an updater deal with that?
> A centralized server (maybe supported by automattic?) could run forever
> and avoid these issues.

Actually, that's exactly why we're not doing it that way. Individual sites
on a whole are more stable - like I said, look what happened when the
_Automattic_ site wp-plugins.org went down. Look how slow pingomatic and
akisemt are.

Don't worry about bandwidth, the files are tiny - but here is a better idea:
You approach Dr. Dave (who is a great guy!) and tell him:
"Can you please have your site auto-create the RDF download bulletins that
are compatible with WP 2.1's new plugin system?"

Then your plugin file can point to his server anyway.

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/