[wp-hackers] Plugin Management and Autoupdate System

Rob Miller r at robm.me.uk
Sun Jul 30 22:13:08 GMT 2006

Computer Guru wrote:

> The simple answer is that we don't need to. We can get the plugin info
> straight from the authors, so why should we go through a middle-man?

Definitely definitely seconding this. Every single third-party site that
collects together community efforts I've ever seen (wp-plugins.net, the
various Firefox plugin sites etc) has been consistently slow at getting
updated, whether, in the case of author-updated sites, through the
authors forgetting (as is certainly the case with my plugins and
wp-plugins.net) or in the case of the sites updating things just a
general laxness.

By contrast, I've never seen an author's site that wasn't up-to-date,
which is a natural presumption since they are invariably the primary
download site.

--
Rob Miller
http://robm.me.uk/ | http://kantian.co.uk/