[wp-hackers] Feature Suggestion - OneClick Installs

jason switzer jswitzer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 03:18:22 GMT 2006

On 7/19/06, Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu> wrote:

> http://mattread.com/projects/wp-plugins/installer-the-plugin/
> http://redalt.com/wiki/PVS%20Documentation
>

> Those solve the problem pretty well.  They would be good candidates for
> future integration into WP core, I think.  2.2 perhaps.
>
> Keep in mind, however, that whatever method we choose won't work for
> everyone since working with files can be an ordeal in most hosting
> environments, especially when safe_mode is involved.
>
> Ryan

I haven't played with this PVS system, but these seem to only address part
of the problem. This needs to allow the developers the installation, removal
and update procedures. The Installer plugin seems to have requirements as to
what can be installed and where it's installed. By using the Ebuild style
file, this allows the plugin developer themselves to define where the file
is and how to manage the installation of the plugin. The only thing that
needs to be maintained by WordPress is the RSS feed that keeps track of the
Ebuild style files and the versions. We could even borrow from RedAlt's idea
of having a system for the developer to update the plugin information (RSS
update).

It should be all encompassing and dead simple manage themes, plugins, and
widgets for vanilla installations.