[wp-hackers] Feature Suggestion - OneClick Installs

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Thu Jul 20 03:02:15 GMT 2006

jason switzer wrote:
> Installing plugins and themes have always been a sore spot with me. There
> use to be a plugin database but it has become deprecated due to a serious
> underlying design flaw. Here's my suggestion: all themes and plugins (any
> really anything) should be installed, removed, and updated with a single
> click. The flaw with the old plugin database was that the maintainer kept
> track of the installing of the plugins when in fact the plugin/theme
> developers should themselves do this.

http://mattread.com/projects/wp-plugins/installer-the-plugin/
http://redalt.com/wiki/PVS%20Documentation

Those solve the problem pretty well.  They would be good candidates for
future integration into WP core, I think.  2.2 perhaps.

Keep in mind, however, that whatever method we choose won't work for
everyone since working with files can be an ordeal in most hosting
environments, especially when safe_mode is involved.

Ryan