[wp-hackers] Link Subcategories

Stuart amanzimtoti at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 22:53:41 GMT 2006

I was involved in a discussion a while back about the differences
between categories and tags. My own opinion is that categories and
tags serve different purposes: categories are used to group posts
together in a logical, structural way, whereas tags are used for
describing the posts in a more free-flowing method. (Wikipedia says it
best: "Tags can be used to specify properties of an object that are
not obvious to the object itself")

In a Wordpress site, categories are often used as a navigational tool
to allow you to group your posts into different sections, e.g.
Politics, Tech, Sports, etc. However, when you combine this with
tagging, you can keep your distinct sections of the site separate with
categories, but then also provide tags which describes each post and
allows deeper searching and linking between posts.

The same concept can be applied to Flickr, which allows you to group
your photos into sets, but also tag each photo with as many tags as
you want. So you can group all your holiday photos from Rome together,
while still be able to bring up a page with all the photos tagged with
'museum'.

I currently use Ultimate Tag Warrior for this, but I would much rather
have the basic tag functionality built into the Wordpress core. Then
plugin authors could build on this by creating tag cloud plugins and
the such.

That doesn't really have anything to do with the original message in
this thread, so sorry if it's off topic - I'm just continuing with the
comment that Craig made above about how categories are being treated
more as tags.

Cheers - Stuart.