[wp-hackers] Re: XHTML Strict compliant replacement for target=_new

Firas D. fd at firasd.org
Wed Oct 26 14:49:01 GMT 2005

Martin Geisler wrote:

>Surely it cannot be the responsibility of WordPress to teach those
>users how to use their browsers?
>
>The fault lies with the browsers (and the users who could read the
>fine manuals that comes with all browsers).

This is disingenous, as you're well aware. Modern, usable applications
do not require manuals to be read. Nobody reads manuals unless they
absolutely need to.

Anyway. WP currently lets you open new windows, but in a noncompliant
manner for some DTDs. The choices are to:

a) Let it be; keep using the HTML attribute to open links in new
windows, letting people who declare an incompatible DTD be invalid.
b) Update the behavior to a js solution using the rel attribute, or a class.
c) Remove the functionality altogether from the link manager.

People arguing that it's not a good thing at all should clarify their
position to one of the above proposals (or one I've overlooked).