[wp-hackers] Developing 1.6

Stefano steagl at people.it
Thu Jun 23 13:48:56 GMT 2005

Il Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:17:04 +0100, Podz <podz at tamba2.org.uk> scrive:

>screens. Sure some people may want things a bit different, but there are
>no problems. Wysiwyg and the drag/drop stuff will change that.
>
>When 1.6 comes out I'm sure there will be words like 'secure' mentioned
>to promote the masses to upgrade and I just know that someone will post
>very quickly indeed yelling that they want their admin screen back as it
>was. When the Dashboards recently went down it was bad enough in the
>forums with the multiple posts - a release coupled with these
>significant changes would be a nightmare to support.

>Please make as much as possible optional. The 'options are bad' isn't a
>good response to this. Hey - make the entire /wp-admin section in two
>flavours.

I can't agree with you, sorry. We have now a 1.5x that looks stable
and performant, when 1.6 (or 2.0 if the changes will be really deep)
will be realeased I agree with you about someone yelling that they
want admin as before as someone yelled that there was no wysiwyg in
1.5 etc. It's impossible to make everyone satisfied.

If the new admin looks incoporate the wysiwyg stuff and an easy
managmente for upload images and files, with some interface
reoganization it's a price to pay to have new funtions, if someone
doens't like the new admin he can still use the 1.5 having admin in 2
flawors it would be more confusing, harder to support through the
codex documentation every time there is an admin problme you will need
to know what admin inteface is in use, developpers have to manage 2
piece of code for quite everything making it a worste nightmare than
the nightmare support. If the development lines for the admin
interface will be clear and the new admin interface will freezed long
time before the realease of the code, there will be plentu of time for
codex people to set up new pages about it ready to be realesed when
1.6 will be launched.

What happened when Dashboards recently went down, with tons of post
about that is just due to the fact that most of the users are "idiot"
users, they arrive, they want answer in seconds, they don't care to
check if someone had asked same thing before, it's something you can't
avoid. A good things to have on the forum is funtion for supporter and
adminstrator as you, is to have fuction that allow link a new request
to the older same request already solved, maybe an easy way to have
some preformatted answer that need just a click to answer someone
redirecting him to a FAQ page or another post. Some more better
administration function for the forum would help to manage better that
periodically nightmare.

Email: steagl at people.it - steagl at despammed.com
BlogPage: http://www.40annibuttati.it/
PGP keys available on keyservers  (cripted & signed PGP mail welcome)